Consolidated Skills & Saves
The 18 skills in the official rules have been combined into 8 skills that are more balanced in their relative usefulness.
- Arcana (Int) - Arcana
- Athletics (Str) - Athletics
- Acrobatics (Dex) - Acrobatics
- Influence (Cha) - Insight, Persuasion, Intimidation, Deception, Performance
- Lore (Int) - History, Religion
- Nature (Wis) - Nature, Animal Handling, Survival, Medicine
- Perception (Wis) - Perception, Investigation
- Stealth (Dex) - Stealth, Sleight of Hand
The 6 Ability-based saving throws are combined into 3 Saves.
These are taken from 4th Edition, and are aligned with the three most commonly used saving throws in 5th Edition.
- Fortitude (Con) - Resist physical effects. (e.g. fatigue, disease, poison)
- Reflex (Dex) - Dodging physical dangers. (e.g. falling objects, area effects)
- Will (Wis) - Resist magical & mental effects. (e.g. charm, sleep, illusion)
- Disarm Devices (Rogue). Open locks and disarm traps. This is just a clearer rename of proficiency in Thieves' Tools.
For tasks that aren’t covered in the above skill list, simply give Advantage to a roll if the character’s background, race, or class is highly relevant. (e.g. an Elf reading old elvish runes.)